Have you or a loved one experienced pain and/or injury from the drug Accutane?
MassTortResources.com can help.
Accutane Acne Medication
Accutane, manufactured by Roche Pharmacuticals, is a drug used to treat severe acne in individuals over 12 years of age. The drug is normally prescribed when other acne medications are ineffective. Yet, some Accutane patients experience serious side effects such as:
- Crohn’s disease,
- liver damage,
- and possibly miscarriage or birth defects if taken while pregnant.
Gastrointestinal Issues caused by Accutane
Accutane, is linked to several gastrointestinal disorders, specifically Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis. Crohn’s disease, an autoimmune disorder, causes the body’s immune system to attack healthy body tissues. Ulcerative Colitis occurs when the lining of the colon becomes inflamed and can develop ulcers which produce pus or mucus.
Symptoms of Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis include:
- Weight loss
- Severe abdominal pain
- Rectal bleeding
- Malaise (feeling of illness or discontent)
- Bloody diarrhea
Liver Damage caused by Accutane
Some patients taking Accutane have permanent liver damage as a result. The liver is a vital organ and damage linked to the use of Accutane can lead to cirrhosis, which is when healthy liver tissue is replaced with scar tissue. This condition may ultimately require a liver transplant which is a serious and potentially life-threatening surgery.
During Roche’s clinical trials, the manufacturer found that 15% of patients prescribed to Accutane had inflammation or damage to liver cells.
Symptoms of Liver damage include:
- Fluid buildup in the abdomen
- Jaundice (yellow color in the skin)
- Upper abdominal comfort
- Swelling in liver
Depression and Suicide caused by Accutane
After taking Accutane, many individuals reported depression and suicidal behavior. From the years 1982-2005, there were approximately 190 reports of suicides by Accutane users. According to the Food and Drug Association, Accutane was one of the top ten drugs associated with depression and suicide attempts in 2003.
Symptoms of Depression and Suicidal Thoughts include:
- Loss of interest in activities
- Difficulty concentrating
- Poor performance at work or school
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Crying spells
- Changes in appetite
- Difficulty sleeping
- Withdrawal from friends or family
- Acting on dangerous thoughts
- Thoughts about hurting or killing oneself
Birth Defects caused by Accutane
Many women who used Accutane are of child bearing years. Therefore the side effects are a significant issue as they pertain to potential birth defects. In 2002, the generic form of Accutane was introduced, and in that same year more than 170 babies were born with defects by users of Accutane. Between the years 1982 and 2006, there had been over 1,000 spontaneous or elected abortions.
Possible birth defects from Accutane include:
- -Skull abnormalities
- -Facial dysmorphia
- -Eye abnormalities
- -Thymus gland abnormalities
- -Parathyroid hormone deficiency
- -Ear abnormalities
- -Cleft palate
- -Central nervous system abnormalities
- -Cardiovascular abnormalities
- -Lower IQ
Remedies and other Solutions
It is estimated approximately 16 million people throughout the world used Acctutane since it was first marketed to the public decades ago. Thousands of lawsuits were filed and many are still pending. Most of the cases are consolidated into Federal mulit-district-litigation (MDL) and in ‘mass tort’ cases at the state level.
Roche Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturer of name-brand “Accutane”, is the main target for the lawsuits. Roche reports it has settled for millions of dollars to resolve the cases.
Thus far, the Courts ordered Roche to pay more than $53 million in trial verdicts to Accutane patients. Not surprisingly, Roach is appealing many of the verdicts. The total amount is calculated from several large judgments:
- In 2008, a jury awarded a woman with inflammatory bowel disease $10.5 million in compensatory damages and $78,500 for medical expenses. She began taking Accutane at age 12 and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at age 14. She ultimately had to have her large intestine removed. The matter was later reversed and remanded for new trial. In 2014, a jury awarded the same woman $1.58 million.
- In February 2010, Roche was forced to pay more than $25 million,the largest Accutane award to date. The plaintiff developed inflammatory bowel disease years after his Accutane use. The complications resulted in five surgeries and the removal of his colon. The verdict came after a retrial from a verdict which was reached in 2007 awarding the plaintiff $2.6 million. The most recent decision was upheld on appeal.
- The most recent Accutane trial resulted in an $18 million jury verdict for two plaintiffs in New Jersey on June 29, 2012.
All told, there have been over $78 million in Accutane verdicts against Roche in connection with Accutane.
MassTortResources.com Can Help You!
By filing a lawsuit,, you may be able to hold the manufacturer of Accutane accountable for your current and/or future condition(s). If you experienced complications through the use of Accutane, you may be entitled to compensation, including payments for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
To find out more information, simply complete the online Quick Application on this page and an agent will promptly return your call. You can always call us toll free at: 866-708-4980.
Thank you for your interest in the Accutane lawsuit and for visiting MassTortResources.com.